During our Disciple class we were asked to do a paraphrase of the Hymn of Faith found in Habakkuk 3:17-19. While writing the paraphrase, I realised that Estelle and I had just come through one of those almost unbearable situations and I decided to share it. So, the following is my testimony:
Since my retirement in 2013, I have been fortunate enough to carry on working for the same company as a contractor. I have been working away from home, which was challenging for my wife, Estelle, and I but my contract in Mokopane was nearing the end, with about two weeks left when I was asked to go and assist in another business area for the same company, but in Rustenburg, where we live. This meant that I could be home with Estelle. This was agreed to by the relevant managers and I went across immediately. An application for a separate contract was submitted and about two weeks later I was informed this it had been rejected. The management decided to submit the application with a company based in Rustenburg, but until it came through, I could not carry on working.
While waiting at home I injured my back and was hospitalized. The injury was quite serious would require surgery.
Also, I did not receive any payment for March.
Estelle and I prayed and prayed
At this time the assignment in the Disciple course, to paraphrase the part from Habakkuk, was given.
A Hymn of Faith:
Though the fig tree may not blossom,
Nor fruit be on the vines;
Though the labour of the olive may fail,
And the fields yield no food;
Though the flock may be cut off from the fold,
And there be no herd in the stalls—
18 Yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will joy in the God of my salvation.
19 The LORD God[c] is my strength;
He will make my feet like deer’s feet,
And He will make me walk on my high hills.
Even though life has become very hard, almost unbearable.
When nothing works and everything is just falling apart around me,
I keep my faith and praise my Almighty God.
I know that He will grant me strength to stand firmly,
And walk with confidence under the protection of His wings
Because my Lord of Hosts, Creator of the Universe, is always with me
• Before the operation, I was in terrible pain and it seemed as though the pain medication was not working at all. One morning, I went to the bathroom and by the time I reached the bathroom, I was in such pain that I ended up laying on the bathroom floor. How much worse could the situation be? I was laying on the floor in terrible pain, unable to get up and there was also the nagging thought that I was unemployed.
I prayed for God to help me. Within seconds I could feel the pain receding to a bearable level and I was able to stand up. When I returned to the ward, the patient in the bed next to me and his wife who was visiting, remarked that they could not believe that I was the same person who had left the ward to go to the bathroom. God had answered my prayers.
• I was referred to a brilliant Neurosurgeon, (Charl Blignaut). While discussing the procedure, he informed me that the more he learned about the human body, the more his awe in God’s creation grew. God had placed him in my path!
• The operation was a success.
• I was then informed that the second application had been rejected and again we prayed. A week later, the company in Mokopane informed me that my contract with them had been renewed and I could start immediately.
Estelle and I thanked God for His mercies
• My recovery was amazing. I started work in Mokopane three weeks after the surgery.
God’s Abundant Blessings
• Soon after starting back at Mokopane, I was informed that I would receive full payment for April, as I was entitled to sick leave. We were not aware of that and only expected about 50% for April
• I was also informed that the company in Rustenburg had decided to reimburse me for the period that I had worked there. We were not expecting that either.
• I have since been offered other employment which I have had to put on hold until my existing contract ends. This company is prepared to wait until then.
Our Almighty God is simply amazing!
If and when this Testimony has spoken into your heart, please go to the Commitment page.